Saturday, July 26, 2014

Myself as a communicator

This week I took three quizzes that determined my communication styles in verbal aggressiveness, listening styles and communication anxiety.  I know that I have some anxiety about speaking in front of people, so when I scored moderate or "situational" on this quiz, I wasn't surprised.  Since working with children and families, I have had to push past my feelings of comfort in speaking with and in front of others and have success with my anxiety levels.  I can now do things that would have terrified me years ago.

My verbal aggression score was moderate, which I believe is accurate, because I am not one to pick fights or try to make others feel bad about themselves.  It takes a lot to make me push back and be "mean" when others are being verbally aggressive towards me.

The last quiz was Listening Styles.  My score showed my that I was people oriented in my listening style, that I am empathetic and concerned about people's emotions, which I believe to be true.  It also says that it can interfere with proper judgment because I tend to be very trusting of others.  This was a bit eye opening.  I am actually not that trusting of people's motives, but will tend to take them at their word, sometimes against my better judgement.  In the future I will keep this in mind.

Had to add a little of The Far Side. These cartoons were great commentary on how we communicate.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi BethAnn,

    My scores were similar to yours on the listening quiz, and I thought the same thing in regards to trust. I didn't agree with all of the definitions for the different levels. This was an interesting exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BethAnn,
    My scores were almost like your but I am much the person that cares about everyone's concerns but my own. I am a motivator but do not motivate myself. Do you have any good skills for self motivating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BethAnn,
    I have a similar score on listening style. As early childhood professionals, I believe that we should be sensitive to and concerned with the feelings and emotions of others, especially the children and their families. Sometimes we trust too much and others take advantage of this. Your word of caution is well taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BethAnn,
    I have a similar score on listening style. As early childhood professionals, I believe that we should be sensitive to and concerned with the feelings and emotions of others, especially the children and their families. Sometimes we trust too much and others take advantage of this. Your word of caution is well taken.

    ReplyDelete