Friday, July 18, 2014

Cultural diversity and communication in my life

When I think about my workplace, there is a lot of diversity.  I have staff members from the Philippines, Vietnam, Africa, Thailand, Hawaii, and the U.S. Mainland.  We all have different life experiences, world views, and cultures.  Getting to know my staff, I have found that I have to be cognizant of the cultural background of the person I am talking to.  For example, my African staff member sometimes need further explanation for things and, although her English is good, I try to use simpler language with her in order to facilitate clearer communication.  I think that with her it will be good to be patient and get to know her I know that my Thai staff member has a different communication style and it often rubs her colleagues the wrong way.  One way that I can use what I have been learning this week is try to coach her in her communication style while reminding staff members to be understanding and patient with her.  While I don't understand all the nuances of the communication styles of my various staff members, I can always be open and honest and let them know that they can feel free to speak freely, and let me know if they don't understand me or what I am trying to communicate.


5 comments:

  1. Bethann,
    You said you don't know all the nuances of communicating but it sounds like you have the main ingredient which is caring. You care about others, and that was evident in the way you described your communicating with colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BethAnn,

    It is amazing to see how diverse the early education field is becoming. While I do not have to work with as many ethnicities as you, each year I learn to work and communicate more effectively with a different group. Having patience and the desire to want to communicate more effective is the key to helping all cultures feel more comfortable in their environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BethAnn,

    Its seems as though you have a good handle on how to effectively communicate with others, especially with diverse backgrounds. It also sounds like you're patient and caring enough to be mindful of behaviors which can hinder good communication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BethAnn,

    I can not say that my workplace is diversity like your and we have good communicate within your workplace but I wish it was more diverse background to help the children with diversity. BethAnn, you have great patience and effective communicate needs that for a good workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi BethAnn,
    I like what you said about being patient, open and honest in your communication with your multicultural staff. Just as what you experienced, if you are able to understand their unique way of communicating and coach them to improve on their communication style knowing that you care for them, I believe that they will be willing learners.
    Charmie

    ReplyDelete