Friday, July 4, 2014

Beginning of EDUC 6165 Communication and Collaboration in the ECE Field

Effective communication model in my own life

It is the beginning of a new course.  For this week's assignment I am to describe a person that I know that I believe has very effective communication skills (or not).  For me this is my 2nd level supervisor at work.  I really admire her communication skills.  When speaking to individuals, this person is very responsive.  She gives you her full attention and responds with words like "absolutely" and validates what you are saying to her when she concurs.  When she doesn't agree, she tells you that she doesn't and gives her reasons why without making you feel stupid or wrong.  She will then ask if you agree or understand.  Another thing that she does is that she is very open to feedback when talking to a group.  She gives people room to talk if they have questions or concerns, but at the same time she is able to take control of the situation and get the attention of the group.  Her tone is authoritative, but respectful.  Another thing that I think she does well in terms of communication is that she admits her mistakes.  She acknowledges that she is not perfect and makes mistakes, and will say that she has to find out if she does not know an answer to a question.

These are skills that I try to emulate, especially the tone and manner in which I communicate.  I think that I could use work in the area of my professional tone and I use her as an example when speaking to subordinates.

4 comments:

  1. Its always great when you have a supervisor who has great communication skills, in fact I envy you. Communications in the work place is key especially, if the difference in being a bad organization or a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BethAnn,
    I too can appreciate a conversationalist that allows space for others to speak. Some supervisors have zero listening skills and think that everything they say is the golden rule. You are lucky to have a supervisor like her giving you and others the ability to give feedback, agree or disagree. Anytime someone can realize that they are human and can make mistakes too is another plus. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BethAnn,
    I completely agree. Your supervisor's communication skills are worth emulation. Two skills you mentioned impressed me - responsiveness and respect. We listen intently to others in order to respond properly. We need also to respect other's opinions.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Charmie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello BethAnn, I love your blogging. The skills you discussed are great for a good communicating in the workplace. It helps to have responsiveness and respect.

    ReplyDelete