Monday, June 23, 2014

Professional Hopes and Goals-End of EDUC 6164

As I end this course, my hope is that I have learned the things I need to know in order to go forward and serve the families and staff I work with with fairness, equity and honesty.  I feel like my perspective on diversity and equity has been expanded and broadened in that I have a clearer picture of how people can feel marginalized and how bias and prejudice can lead to injustice.  I have been given some tools to help me navigate these waters and I feel like I have some more tools in my toolbox now. :)

One goal that I would like to set for the early childhood field in regard to diversity, equity and social justice is to see more senior citizens in the early childhood.  I really believe that seniors can bring a great deal to the field and I will try to make opportunities for this to happen in my own environment.

In closing, I want to thank all of my colleagues for their not only their great support during this course, but for the personal information that they shared and for the respect they showed me when I shared my personal stories.  It was not an easy course but the interactions with my colleagues made it easier.

Good luck in the next course everyone!  Hope to see you there!

BethAnn

4 comments:

  1. BethAnn, what a great idea in having more seniors work in the early childhood field; it is really a blessing for the children. Having the right tools to navigate the issues of diversity is key. Good luck on your adventures and classes in this filed.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy that you used with tools and navigating through water. I hope you are able to achieve your hopes and goals for the early childhood field with the tools that you have been given for navigation. I want to thank you for your insight and information that you shared throughout the course. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BethAnn, It would be a wonderful thing to have more seniors in the classroom. I have always enjoyed my time with seniors and both parties get so much from it. I am glad we got to share another class together and hope to see you again!
    ~Jalice

    ReplyDelete
  4. BethAnn,
    I enjoyed reading your posts. I would read your blog every time first.I agree with you the seniors are the best because you can learn from them with their good advice of living.

    ReplyDelete