Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice and Oppression

I have been trying to think of a specific time when I have faced bias, prejudice and oppression.  I can't think one specific instance, but I know that as a young woman I experienced harrasment by boys; as a Mormon I have dealt with people who are completely biased against the LDS church and have crazy, ignorant ideas about my faith; I have had to deal with negative comments about white people, conservatives, adoption, the military, Americans, women (working mothers, stay at home mothers).  The list goes on.  Everything that I am, and everything that I identify as, has at some point been the target of bias and prejudice, no matter how slight.   I carry with me the frustration of not being able to enlighten people of the reality of the facts, but I do not carry with me pain or anger toward those people.  It seems futile to do so.


I have often felt this way from the men I work with.  


As I read the blogs of all my colleagues, I read many different accounts of bias and prejudice, from breastfeeding to overt racism.  I think that as early childhood professionals it behooves us to be aware that no matter what, biases and prejudice will always exist.  We must find a way to deal with it appropriately when we face it, and not dwell on it when it is not present.  We need to teach tolerance and appreciation for others to our children more than anything.









4 comments:

  1. Hi Bethann,
    When persons are not aware of who you are and your what your intentions are persons often develop prjudices and biases. Many persons are ignorant and are quick to listen to the negatives. This is sad especially in the field of early childhood. I believe persons really need to be open minded and be willing to accept people for who they really are.I agree with you we really need to be tolerant and show respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethann,
    I must say it was very nice reading your posting. People are ignorant and very negatives in race, family and even just levels of life. I do agree that we all need to learn more diversity so we can try and break the prejudices and biases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethann,
    You shared some great examples of bias, prejudice, and oppression in general. I think that most of your situations as well as others that exist are caused by people's ignorance; some people are just not educated when it comes to diversity and others' ways of life which causes them to sometimes resort to bias or prejudice. In fact, some people are not aware of their own differences so they do not know how to appropriately respond when others embrace theirs. It is great that you do not carry anger or pain with you because of negative experiences. It is a great example for our children to follow.

    ~Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post. It's unfortunate you felt that way in your younger years just because of your religion. You make a great point about breastfeeding. It is such a natural thing that somehow became taboo in public. It is a shame and I just home mothers are not ashamed too feed their children the best way whenever their children are hungry.
    Thank you for sharing!
    ~Jalice

    ReplyDelete