Friday, August 8, 2014

The 5 Stages of Team Development

This week we are learning about team development.  There are five specific stages in group development:  forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning (O'Hair & Weimann, 2012).
For this week's blog I am going to focus on Adjourning, the final phase of group development that occurs after the project, goal or task has been accomplished.  In my experience with Adjourning, i have been very happy to get away from my group or very sad to leave my group.  When I left my job in Japan, I was not sad to go.  Everyone I had built relationships and trust with had gone and the new team leader did not develop the team effectively at all.  When I left my job in Maryland, I was very sad.  I had made great friends, learned so much and knew I would miss my work there. I still keep in touch with my coworkers there. When I have to leave my job here in Hawaii, I will again be very sad as everyone here is so nice and there is a real sense of camaraderie and team work.  I am sure I will have made friends and colleagues that I will keep in touch with after I leave.  Unfortunately, being a military spouse means I have to leave my job every 3-4 years, so I have a lot of experience with adjourning.
Whenever one of my courses in this program ends, I always feel a little anxious, because I have got to know some of my colleagues pretty well and do not want to have to deal with the process of learning new people (even though it always turns out great).  there are a few people who have been with me since the beginning and I always hope that they are still in my group because they are so much fun to discuss with and always have good things to impart.

Tuckman's 5 Stages of Group Development

4 comments:

  1. Hi Beth Ann,

    Hopefully your experience in Japan was great aside from not being sad about leaving your job. Its seem as though you've taken a very realistic and honest approach to adjourning as its a part of life, and it occurs rather we like it or not. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth Ann,
    I know you didn't want to leave on a sad note but it is hard working with a new group after you have build repo with people and it is a great success. It is hard getting to know difference cultural factors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BethAnn,
    Thanks for sharing your varied experiences in adjourning. While the adjourning stage may be a sad experience as you have noted, it is also the beginning of new friendships forged by trusting and working together to achieve common goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BethAnn,

    I am glad to hear that though you moved away from your friends and family, the trust that you built with them has allowed you to maintain a relationship with them. A trusting and long lasting relationships remain steady regardless of the distance.
    Saying good bye for me is never easy whether its my students or family members. The closer the working relationship, the harder it is to dissolve it. To help myself better deal with the termination process, I tell myself that it is a normal part of life.

    Regina

    ReplyDelete