Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Research Around The World

For this week's blog assignment we have the option of exploring three different early childhood websites.   The choices were:
http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/index.php - Early Childhood Development Virtual University-Sub Saharan Africa

http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au - Early Childhood Australia

http://www.eecera.org European Early Childhood Research Association

I chose Early Childhood Australia because I already have some experience with this organization.  This organization was one of two out of six early childhood organizations that I contact and that responded to my request for a contact, an assignment we had in our last course.  The person who ended up being my contact from Early Childhood Australia was very informative and so happy to collaborate with me.  

On the site there is a link to Research in Practice Series (RIPS).  These are publications that "provide practical, easy-to-read resources for those involved in the early childhood field".  I perused the list and they topic cover professional development, challenging behavior, play, transitions, diversity, and so many others.  ECA Webwatch is a free newsletter that you can subscribe to.  This e-newsletter offers an eclectic mix of information on early childhood development, growth and learning, early childhood practice, programs and policy, emerging issues and research.

8 comments:

  1. Bethann, I really enjoyed reading your post. The country that I chose was Africa, and I found out some new things about early childhood there. I read about how they are teaching kids how to interact on social media at a young age. I see that you chose Australia. Did anything shock you from the website? Was it a lot different from Africa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BethAnn, do you still keep in touch with your resource person from Australia? I did make contact from one person in Africa last class but have not heard from him in a few weeks. What are some of the emerging issues from this website? I am always looking for easy to read and practical articles to research. I have always found it fascinating to learn about different trends and techniques from other countries, even from early childhood professionals in other states.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing shocking on the website. Many of their issues are ones that we face and are discussing. I am amazed to see the depth and overall focus that Australia has on early childhood education. I wish we did that better here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BethAnn, I chose this particular website as well and found it to be quite intriguing. I can see how this organization is compatible to NAEYC. It provides a conspectus of the organization’s purpose, appropriate practices, and code of ethics all of which are similar to our beliefs. Furthermore, I found the topic “Child Obesity” to be pertinent. Teaching young children how to eat and what to eat is so important. This reminds me of MyPyramid which illustrates how to make healthy choices.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more comment, I am referring to Early Childhood Australia.

    http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au - Early Childhood Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bethan,
    I also chose this website. This website is bursting with information on early childhood and research. The research topics are so wide and diverse, that I believe any research topic you search for you can find some information on this website. I am definetely going to be using this website for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BethAnn, it is good to read about your positive result in connecting to an international contact! Many students were not able to and it is such a wonderful opportunity. I was lucky enough to contact with a teacher in Morocco. Although we have lost contact, I have enjoyed it thoroughly. Australia is a very interesting country and I like the information you share of their website.
    ~Jalice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello BethAnn,
    It was nice reading your post and great to see that some one collaborated with you. This is what we need more of around the world, people communicating on the issue of early childhood to help better our children to great lives. It takes teamwork and dedication to get to this matter.

    ReplyDelete