Sunday, April 20, 2014

When I think of research... (End of course reflection)

I used to think that research meant long hours in the library pouring over books and articles to find the information I needed to write a paper.  After taking this course, I now know that research has many different meanings and contexts.  I have also learned that there are many ways to do research and specific methods to utilize.  Conducting research in the early childhood field is not something that I had ever considered to be relevant to my work, but I can see that it can be very relevant.  If there is ever an issue I need to clarify or look into, knowing how to conduct research on it will be a huge help in getting the right information.

The challenges I found in this course were learning all the new terms for the different research methods and keeping them straight.  The only way I learned them was by reading and re-reading until I had them right :)

As an early childhood professional, this course has helped me by teaching me how to read research without spending hours and how to conduct research in a way that is valid, feasible and ethical.  Both of these skills will benefit me professionally by allowing me to read research in the field and understand how it was done.

Overall, this course would not have been one that I would have chosen to take, but like all the previous courses in this program had much to teach me.  I am glad I got to take it.

Thank you to all my colleagues in this course.  Your professionalism, skill and support have been invaluable to me.

8 comments:

  1. Hi BethAnn,
    I too had a hard time differentiating the terminology used in research. I too had to read and read until I was able to get them right. However, I did enjoy this course. Good luck in the future hon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BethAnn,
    I am glad i wasn't the only one who felt overwhelmed by all the new terminology in the course readings. Thanks for all you insight through your blog for this course. i wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BethAnn,

    I have to agree this course was a challenge, but like you... I too found the terms to be most helpful. However, I truly feel that this class has given me a stronger foundation in teaching. Many of the concepts assimilated I can now apply to my own students. I enjoyed this course.

    I wish you the best on your educational journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BethAnn,

    I'm learning more and more everyday the benifits of research to the early childhood field. I must admit I had no ideal on the different types of research and how they all have a unique role and purpose. It is nice to know that people share my challenges and growth from this research class. I wish you luck with your next class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Job on your final blog post. I have really enjoyed this course and interacting with my peers. I now have a different view on research. I used to think that research was so much harder than it is. I see that you also have a different view on research. Do you think that this course was really helpful to you? What do you think you should have done better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. BethAnn,
    I too had some challenging moments throughout this course. Each week I felt challenged and rejoiced as soon as I hit the submit button the the applications. I always enjoy being in classes with you and I hope to be with again in future courses. Best of luck!
    Keli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bethann,
    This is my fith course with Walden in the masters program and the first two weeks I felt I was not going to make it but I slowly overcame the struggles and the challenges. I too never really thought about such in depth knowledge as it relates to early childhood and research. Many days I felt like I was on a mission without any compass or clear direction. This course has really made me appreciate persons who have done diligent research in the field of early childhood. I know for sure I will not anything that relates to research and early childhood for granted. Thanks for ypur committed support throughout the course and all the best in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi BethAnn, we share many of the same insights and challenges. I too learned how to read research better. This is beneficial to us in so many ways. It is exciting to have learned a new way to be better professionals and reach out to children through research. I am grateful to have shared another class with you and I look forward to it again!
    ~Jalice

    ReplyDelete