Friday, February 28, 2014

End of course reflection

     During this course we have had the opportunity to learn about the state of early childhood in other countries.  For my part, I corresponded with colleagues in England and Australia.  Learning about the issues and trends they face had several consequences in relationship to my professional and personal development.  The first is that I was able to see that early childhood educators throughout the world face challenges that are not uncommon to us in the U.S., while some face concerns we would never have.
     The second consequence of my interactions with international colleagues is that I learned how much they have to impart to us.  The early childhood field is still growing in many countries, and established in others.  Many nations with established systems can be models for us, both in positive and negative ways.
     The third consequence that came from my interactions was the realization that there are many societies that feel early childhood education is important for young children and many people who care deeply about children, equity, excellence and all the other issues that the field faces.
     One goal I would love to see this country strive for is to really look at how other nations have successfully (or not) implemented early childhood education systems, and how we compare to them.  Are we going down the road toward success or failure?  What could we do better?  What are we doing that is right?  I believe that we have the potential to build a system that serves our young children better than any country in the world, but we have to have unity of purpose and strength of will to get the job done.


Children at a preschool in Kerala, India.

Preschool Children in China

Preschool Children In A Day Care Centre In Akropong-Akwapim, Ghana

Children at a British preschool in Park Gate, Hampshire, U.K. 



Thank you to everyone who contributed comments to my posts.  I enjoyed reading all of them and I hope to see you in the next class!  Good luck to all of you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth Ann,
    I completely agree with you. Honestly, I believe the answers to those questions would be very shocking. The pedestal that the U.S upholds can play an blinding eye to the true misconceptions of our educational state. Without the unity of purpose and strength, we will continue to struggle to provide adequate early care for our young children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello BethAnn,
    I to agree that other countries should collaborate and help each other. There are countries out there now really struggling to find a successful system and that is where I believe the quality based countries should give as many pointers as possible because this should not be a competition. All children no matter where they come from deserves the best education possible. In order to better early childhood education worldwide everyone must come together and understand it is all about our children point blank period. I appreciate all of your posting and I wish you the best of luck in your future courses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth Ann.
    Great posting, I enjoyed reading your postings from your international contact, we do need to come together to unify early childhood education . We have the tools to see how other countries make their EC system works, we should be able to mimic their infrastructure. Thanks for all you insight, wish you much success in your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete