Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My Connections To Play

When children pretend, they’re using their imaginations to move beyond the bounds of reality. A stick can be a magic wand. A sock can be a puppet. A small child can be a superhero.
~Fred Rogers

American Children's Television Host

Pausing to listen to an airplane in the sky, stooping to watch a ladybug on a plant, sitting on a rock to watch the waves crash over the quayside—children have their own agendas and timescales. As they find out more about their world and their place in it; they work hard not to let adults hurry them. We need to hear their voices.
~Cathy Nutbrown
Contemporary British educational theorist

The quotes above represent play in my childhood.  Playtime was a time for me to do what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it.  I was left relatively unsupervised and to my own devices, which suited me just fine.  I learned a lot about society and my role in it through my play, and built my understanding of the world as well.  

Growing up, my toy of choice was my baby dolls and my barbie dolls.  I spent hours playing mommy and dressing and undressing my barbie dolls.  I LOVED to play house.  I read and colored all the time.  When I wasn't confined indoors, I was outside, running around, playing with my sisters and neighborhood kids exploring or playing at whatever we could conjure up.  Even though it was 30+ years ago, I remember my childhood playtime fondly.  

Growing up, my siblings and I weren't allowed to be in the house when it was nice outside.  My play in childhood was supported by parents and grandparents who understood the value of just being outside and exploring, but also that toys lent something to play as well.  I had toys, but I seem to remember not having the ones I really wanted (or maybe I just wanted what my friends had).  Even so, I still had lots of Barbies and baby dolls and whatever else my mother could offer me that nobly served their purpose in my play activities.  


MY 3 ESSENTIAL PLAY ITEMS:

"GET OUTSIDE!"  Playing outside was a big part of my youth.  

Dream Date Barbie-I loved this outfit. Of all the Barbies, this is the one I remember the most.  

My first Cabbage Patch (not my actual doll).  She looked just liked this, her name was Trudy, and she was my cherished friend.

I am always amazed at the way play has changed in the last 15-20 years.  Sometimes I wonder at the fact that up until recently childhood was not relegated to learning toys, electronics and ready made activities.  We didn't have all that, and neither did the generations before us, and we all seemed to have done alright.  My goal for my children is the love of the basics of play,  toys that they have to figure out how to work and how to be outside and run around, something they are actually good at.  They are learning that the best things in life don't have to be expensive toys or electronics.  

As adults, we do not often get the opportunity to play like we did as children, but we can still do it.  Playing WITH children can be very enjoyable.  Building Lego cities or playing soccer with them are great ways to teach children the value of play and that grownups like it too.  Fun and relaxation are very important to adults for decompressing and building relationships with others.  We should always remember to keep play in our lives.  After all "All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy".   

5 comments:

  1. Beth Ann your blog is very creative and inviting! I can appreciate your quotes especially the one by Fred Rogers. I love his interpretation regarding play. I too can remember having a wonderful childhood playing with Barbie dolls (Having all the accessories) Ken as well and engaging is such a lively imaginary world. From your description it seems like you had a wonderful childhood which is such as blessing. Thanks for sharing such a great blog! 
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. BethAnn, I enjoyed your quotes! I always liked watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. You loved playing outside like I did too. There are so many things to do and see outside! I totally agree with your statement about playing with children. Kids are so fun and they keep you in the moment. I enjoyed reading about your childhood play experiences!
    ~Jalice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BethAnn, you hit exactly what I was referring to in my blog. When we were growing up, we did not have all of what the children of this generation have, and yet, we had more fun then than they do now. This is my point when I say my hope for children of this generation is that they redefine the term 'play' and appreciate all that playing entails, provides and delivers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BethAnn,

    I was never allowed to play inside either as long as it was nice outside. I was also not given the traditional toys children have today to play with, therefore, I had to use often use the resources from the great outdoors along with my imagination. I also often played with the children in my neighborhood. One of the games the other children and I played was kickball. The game of kickball taught us many skills, such as how to communicate effectively, develop gross motor skills, and learn about rules, just to name a few. I even agree with you that as adults, it is still important to play and I am glad you reminded me of it. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BethAnn,

    I always look forward to reading what is on your blog or the things you have to share with us. I see that we also found some of the same quotes that were posted on our blogs especially the one by Fred Rogers. I see that play time was very big in your childhood and that you enjoyed every minute of it. I feel that the children today to not understand the importance of play and the things they can gain from it. They see play time as playing with video games, playing on their cellphones, surfing the net, or just changing the channel on the television. This is definitely not the case in my household in which my children are involved in a lot of play time. I always allow them to participate n activities where they are exploring, solving problems, and making decisions on their own. Basically this is preparing them for adulthood in which they will have to be independent and make decisions that are best for them.

    ReplyDelete