Sunday, September 1, 2013

Birth (Beginning of EDUC 6160:Early Childhood Development)

I am now in the beginning of my second course, Early Childhood Development, in my Master's program.  We will be learning about the stages of early childhood development.  This week we were given the assignment to write about a personal birthing experience.  I have none to share.  My children were adopted and I have never given birth.  I have never been in the room with any of my sisters when they gave birth, nor with a close friend or relative.
I wish that I had been the one to give birth to my children.  They are such a blessing to me and I am grateful to the women who brought them to me.

My children were born in Taiwan so I chose to read about childbirth in that country.  Taiwan is an industrialized nation that practices western medicine.  99% of women give birth in hospitals.  Much of what I read states that many of the practices used on Taiwanese women in childbirth are decades old practices and are highly discouraged, or not at all recommended, by the World Health Organization.  Women (almost 100%) are routinely administered I.V's, enemas and shaved and given episiotomies, and about half are given labor inducing drugs.  Also, they are constantly strapped to fetal monitoring machines (recommended monitoring every 30-45 mins if higher risk), so they cannot get up and walk around.  Cesarean sections account for almost 35% of births (a good level would be 12-15%).  Women are made to give birth laying flat on their back.  Medical intervention is seen by Taiwan doctors as a safety precaution, but health officials have been warning that such procedures are contributing to higher mortality rates in Taiwan, while many other countries' rates are falling.  Tradition combined with a lack of understanding of how these practices are harmful rather than helpful continue to keep the practices ongoing in a large number of hospitals throughout the country.  (http://taiwanonymous.blogspot.com).

I do believe these birthing practices are in many ways detrimental to not only the mothers, but the infants.  High rates of cesarean sections, unnecessary use of drugs, fetal monitoring and less than desirable birthing positions do have ill effects on the infants, evident in the high infant mortality rates in Taiwan.  To what degree they affect normal development, I do not know.  I think the care a mother takes with her pregnancy prior to birth is more important to development than the birthing.  My children have developed normally and are on track.  Their birth mothers had access to prenatal care and gave birth in hospitals, but I don't know the circumstances.  Like any mother, I am just glad they are healthy and thriving.

References:
Taiwanonymous.blogspot.com (2009, February 12).  On childbirth in Taiwan: Taiwanese women, why aren't you angry?  Retrieved from http://taiwanonymous.blogspot.com/2009/02/on-childbirth-in-taiwan-taiwanese-women.html

2 comments:

  1. Hey BethAnn, good to see you again in this class! I enjoyed reading your post. It is very interesting how different cultures and parts of the world practice birthing their children. I too have no birthing experience to share so I enquired with my mom about my birth. She said (in the 1980's) I was not able to stay in the room with her for long periods of time for sanitary reasons. Other countries allow their new babies with the mothers and I believe in this practice much better. I agree with you about how they give birth in Taiwan. It is not the best way and C-sections should be avoided as long as the mother and child will be ok. Hopefully these practices improve in the future.
    ~Jalice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello BethAnn, In reading your posting I was very interested in the practices in Taiwan. I have only one child and I dont want to do it again. I had a nature birth. My mother, aunt, brother, and baby father was in the room. I was so tired but my family enjoyed the baby. I feel that the family should be there to take care of the baby. Child birth anywhere is a hard task. The video was so helpful to me with my discuss.

    ReplyDelete